Cases Heard by the International Commission of Inquiry
Year Victim City or County State Presenting Attorney(s) and Students Family/Community Member
2019 Atchison, Jimmy Atlanta GA Gerald Griggs Jimmy Hill
2014 Baker, Jordan Houston TX David Owens, Billy J. Mills Janet Baker
2006 Bell, Sean New York NY Sanford Rubenstein Nicole Paultre Bell, Laura Harper
2013 Benjamin, Jayvis L. Decatur GA Patrick Megaro Montye Benjamin
2020 Blake, Jacob Kenosha WI Ben Crump, Jasmine Rand  
2014 Brown, Jr., Michael Ferguson MO Ben Crump, Jasmine Rand, Chad Steen, Nabeha Shaer Lezley McSpadden
2017 Brown, Tashii Las Vegas NV Andre Lagomarsino  
2010 Campbell, Aaron Portland OR Tom Steenson Marva Davis
2020 Daniels, Damian San Antonio TX Lee Merritt Annette Walker, Brendan Daniels
2000 Dorismond, Patrick New York NY Derek Sells  
2020 Ellis, Manuel Elijah Tacoma WA James Bible Monet Carter-Mixon, Jamika Scott
2000 Ferguson, Malcolm New York NY Seth Harris  
2020 Floyd, George Minneapolis MN Ben Crump, Jasmine Rand Philonise Floyd
2012 Francis, Shereese New York NY Steve Vaccaro  
2017 Garcia, Jr., Antonio Leavenworth KS Derek Sieck, Jasmine Rand Jasmine Roberson, Heather Garcia
2014 Garner, Eric Staten Island NY Jonathan Moore Gwen Carr
2020 Gedeus, Barry Ft. Lauderdale FL Lee Friedland, Greeny Valbuena Alexis Hill
2005 Glover, Henry New Orleans LA Courtney Wilson  
2020 Goodson, Casey Rosedale OH Sarah Gelsomino Tamala Payne
2012 Graham, Ramarley Bronx NY Royce Russell Constance Malcolm
2015 Gray, Freddie Baltimore MD William Murphy  
2016 Harbison, Richie Lee Hendersonville NC Jeremy Adams, Kyle Brazile, Prof. Michael Avery  
2014 Harrison, Jason Dallas TX Geoff Henley  
2019 Jean, Botham Shem Dallas TX Daryl Washington Allison Jean
2014 Jones, Marquise San Antonio TX Daryl Washington Deborah Jones-Bush
2017 Kearse, Andrew Schenectady NY Sanford Rubenstein Angelique Negroni-Kearse, Ares Davoice, Hank Newsome
2013 Lambert, Linwood South Boston VA Thomas Needham Sweeney  
2014 May, Juan Arlington TX Anthony Eiland Jindia Blount
2013 Moore, Kayla Berkeley CA Adante Pointer Maria Moore
2015 Pickett II, Nathaniel Barstow CA Dale Galipo Ms. Dominic Archibald
2018 Price, Jeffery Washington DC David Shurtz Denise Price
2020 Prude, Daniel Rochester NY Donald Thompson Joseph Prude
2014 Rice, Tamir Cleveland OH Billy J. Mills Samaria Rice
2020 Sisay, Momodou Lamin Snellville GA Abdul Jaiteh Lare Sisay, Diminga George
2020 Soulemane, Mubarak New Haven CT Sanford Rubenstein, Mark Arons Omo Klumsum Muhammad, Rev. Kevin McCall
2003 Spruill, Alberta New York NY Derek Sells  
2020 Tarver, Darius Denton TX Lee Merritt Kevin Tarver, Sr.
2020 Taylor, Breonna Louisville KY Lonita Baker, Jasmine Rand Tamika Palmer
2020 Truitt, Vincent Atlanta GA Maria Banjo, Gerald Griggs Venethia Cook
2009 Walker, Shem New York NY Sanford Rubenstein Rev. Kevin McCall
2021 Warren, Patrick, Sr. Killeen TX Lee Merritt Patrick Warren, Jr., Dwayne Palmer
2013 West, Tyrone Baltimore MD Nana Gyamfi Tawanda Jones
2008 Wilson, Tarika Lima OH Derek Sells  
2003 Zongo, Ousmane New York NY Sanford Rubenstein  




March 1, 2000,  Malcolm Ferguson, New York, NY

  1. Drug officers allegedly “noticed some movement” in the hallway of a public housing building and investigated. Malcolm Ferguson, who was unarmed, ran up the stairs. “At some point, on the second-floor landing, there was a struggle,” Chief John Scanlon said. “The officer’s firearm discharged.” Aftermath: Officer Louis Rivera was cleared of wrongdoing. Mr. Ferguson’s mother, Juanita Young, was awarded $10.5 million as a result of her wrongful death suit against the New York Police Department and the city.

March 15, 2000,  Patrick Dorismond, New York, NY

  1. Patrick Dorismond was a law-abiding 29-year-old when he was killed by the New York Police Department after refusing the demands of two undercover cops who assumed, because he was Black, that he was a drug dealer, and they harassed him to sell them drugs. When Mr. Dorismond’s protests became more vigorous, he was shot, then handcuffed while no medical attention was provided. Aftermath: No officer was charged. Mr. Dorismond’s family was paid $2.25 million as a settlement of the civil lawsuit they filed.

May 16, 2003,  Alberta Spruill, New York, NY

  1. Police knocked down 57-year-old Alberta Spruill’s door, apparently acting on bad information, which they failed to properly confirm, that there were drugs and guns inside the veteran city employee’s apartment. They threw a concussion grenade into her home. She died of a heart attack. Aftermath: The city paid Ms. Spruill’s family $1.6 million as a settlement for the wrongful death lawsuit they filed.

May 22, 2003,  Ousmane Zongo, New York, NY

  1. Ousmane Zongo was shot four times (twice in the back) by officer Bryan Conroy during a police raid in a storage facility where Mr. Zongo worked. Mr. Zongo was unarmed and his business (art and musical instrument reparation) had nothing to do with what the police were investigating (CD and DVD piracy). Aftermath: Conroy was convicted of criminally negligent homicide. He received five years probation and lost his job as a police officer. Mr. Zongo’s family received $3 million in a wrongful death suit.

September 2, 2005, Henry Glover, New Orleans, LA

  1. Henry Glover was shot and killed by a New Orleans policeman during the chaos following Hurricane Katrina. A Good Samaritan, William Tanner discovered the mortally wounded Mr. Glover and took him for treatment to a disaster relief area where he was met by New Orleans Police Department officers. The officers assaulted Mr. Tanner and burned his car with Mr. Glover inside. Afterwards, the car was placed behind the New Orleans Police Department’s North District precinct. Henry Glover’s skull was removed from the burnt vehicle. Officers David Warren and Greg McCrae were identified as being involved with burning Tanner’s car. McCrae and Travis McCabe were found responsible for falsifying police reports. Aftermath: David Warren was sentenced to 25 years and nine months on a manslaughter conviction. McCrae was sentenced to 17 years and three months for obstruction of justice. A year and a half later, the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals vacated Warren’s convictions and two of McCrae’s, ordering new trials. Warren was acquitted in the retrial. Mr. Glover’s family received $450,000 to settle their civil lawsuit.

November 25, 2006,  Sean Bell, New York, NY

  1. On the morning of Sean Bell’s wedding, he and his friends attempted to flee the scene of escalating tension with the police. The police fired about 50 shots into Mr. Bell’s car, killing him in the process. Aftermath: All three officers were acquitted on all charges. They and their commanding officer were fired/forced to resign. New York City agreed to pay Mr. Bell’s family $3.25 million to settle their wrongful death suit.

January 4, 2008,  Tarika Wilson, Lima, OH

  1. A SWAT team arrived at Tarika Wilson’s home with the intention of arresting her companion for dealing drugs. When they opened fire, they shot and killed Ms. Wilson and injured her baby, who she was holding at the time. Ms. Wilson had walked upstairs to protect her children and stay away from the police-instigated situation. Aftermath: Sgt. Joe Chavalia, who shot Ms. Wilson, was acquitted of two misdemeanors: negligent homicide and negligent assault. Ms. Wilson’s family received a $2.5 million wrongful death settlement.

July 11, 2009,  Shem Walker, New York, NY

  1. Shem Walker was shot while he was trying to eject an undercover officer from his mother’s stoop, whom he believed to be a drug dealer. Mr. Walker, who was an Army veteran, was unarmed. Aftermath: No indictment was issued for the officer. New York City paid $2.25 million to settle with Walker’s family.

January 29, 2010,  Aaron Campbell, Portland, OR

  1. Aaron Campbell was shot in front of his apartment after being reported to the police as suicidal and possessing a gun. Mr. Campbell was unarmed and was walking backward with his hands behind his head. Officer Frashour told Mr. Campbell to put his hands straight in the air. When Mr. Campbell did not comply, Frashour shot him. Aftermath: No indictment was issued for Frashour. He was fired for not following protocol, but then reinstated. Portland paid Campbell’s family $1.2 million to settle their civil suit against the city.

February 2, 2012,  Ramarley Graham, Bronx, NY

  1. Eighteen-year-old Ramarley Graham was shot and killed by police in the Bronx who had followed him into his home without a warrant. He was unarmed. Aftermath: The officer, Richard Haste, was initially indicted in 2012, but the indictment was later dismissed. A second grand jury decided not to indict Haste. The Graham family sought compensation for emotional damages due to their mistreatment by the New York Police Department (NYPD) following the shooting. After Graham was killed, his grandmother, Patricia Hartley, was detained at the local precinct for seven hours and forced to give a statement against her will. Haste also allegedly threatened to shoot her. Ms. Hartley received $450,000. Graham’s brother, who was also home during the shooting, received $500,000. Graham’s mother received $40,000 and his estate was awarded $2.95 million.

March 15, 2012,  Shereese Francis, New York, NY

  1. Shereese Francis, a woman who suffered from schizophrenia was not taking her medication on the day police encountered her. She became “increasingly emotionally distraught” after an argument with her mother. Her sister called 311, hoping for an ambulance to arrive to provide medical care. Four police officers responded instead and chased Ms. Francis through her home. All four officers allegedly pinned her down as they handcuffed her and she stopped breathing soon after. She was pronounced dead at the hospital. Aftermath: Her family was paid $1.1 million to settle the lawsuit they filed against the city.

January 18, 2013,  Jayvis L. Benjamin, Decatur, GA

  1. Police allegedly observed a driver speeding and behaving recklessly so they turned to follow and came upon a crashed vehicle. Police claimed that Jayvis Benjamin moved in a threatening manner when attempting to exit the crashed vehicle. He attempted to remove himself from the vehicle while suffering from injuries and being issued conflicting and contradictory instructions. He was unarmed. Sgt. Lynn Thomas fired one shot, hitting Mr. Benjamin in the chest. Aftermath: Although a criminal grand jury recommended charging Sgt. Thomas, the charges were dropped in 2016.

February 12, 2013, Kayla Moore, Berkeley, CA

  1. Kayla Moore’s friend called for mental health assistance for Ms. Moore, a transgender woman living with mental illness. The officers who responded checked a database and found someone with Ms. Moore’s birth name, though 20 years older. Instead of responding to the request for mental health assistance, officers arrested Ms. Moore. They threw her, face down, onto a futon to handcuff her after she said she would make a phone call to clear up the mistaken identity issue. She died of asphyxiation. No medical aid was sought. Aftermath: The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals upheld the dismissal of the Moore family’s lawsuit.

May 14, 2013,  Linwood Lambert, South Boston, VA

  1. Linwood Lambert, who lived with mental illness, called the police to be taken to the hospital after some erratic behavior. A video recording shows Mr. Lambert, upon arrival at the hospital, kicking out a passenger window of the squad car in which he was placed, escaping from the backseat, and running toward the ER door—still in handcuffs. At that point, officers officially arrested Mr. Lambert, discharging their Tasers several times at him. The officers claim he continued to behave erratically and used their stun guns several more times while he remained shackled in the backseat. The officers stunned Mr. Lambert nearly 20 times before he died. Despite this incident taking place outside the doors of a hospital emergency room, Mr. Lambert was taken to the police station instead of the hospital and not provided any medical treatment. Aftermath: Charges against the officers were dismissed. The city settled a suit filed by the family for $25 million, but details about the settlement were not made public.

July 18, 2013,  Tyrone West, Baltimore, MD

  1. Along with a passenger, Tyrone West was pulled over on a traffic stop by two plainclothes officers in an unmarked car. The police claimed to have seen a bulge in his sock, which they alleged could contain drugs. After Mr. West shooed one of the officer’s hands away from his foot, the officers physically attacked him. During this confrontation, the officers accidentally pepper-sprayed themselves. Other police arrived and the beating of Mr. West continued after he had been subdued and handcuffed. He died at the scene. Aftermath: No charges were filed against the officers. The city and state paid $1 million to settle a civil lawsuit filed by the family.

January 16, 2014,  Jordan Baker, Houston, TX

  1. An off-duty police officer thought Jordan Baker fit the description of robbery suspects, simply because both they and he were wearing black hooded sweatshirts. A scuffle and foot chase ensued. Mr. Baker, who was unarmed, was fatally shot. Aftermath: No charges were filed against Officer J. Castro. When U.S. Magistrate Judge Nancy Johnson refused to dismiss the municipal liability claim, she wrote, “A jury could reasonably find that defendant city had an unofficial policy and custom of turning a blind eye to its officers’ excessive uses of force.” The city of Houston paid $1.2 million in 2020 to settle a lawsuit brought by the family.

February 28, 2014, Marquise Jones, San Antonio, TX

  1. Marquise Jones was the passenger in a car involved in a minor accident at a drive-through restaurant. Mr. Jones exited the vehicle and attempted to leave the area. An off-duty, uniformed police officer working security shot him in the back. He claimed that he believed Mr. Jones had a weapon. Many witnesses dispute the officer’s account. Aftermath: No officer was charged. A wrongful death lawsuit was dismissed by a jury.

June 14, 2014,  Jason Harrison, Dallas, TX

  1. Jason Harrison’s mother called 911 when he was dealing with symptoms of mental illness, seeking hospital transportation for her son. Video footage shows Mr. Harrison’s mother opening the door to awaiting officers while Mr. Harrison appears behind her twiddling a screwdriver. The officers immediately demanded he drop the tool and within seconds fired several shots, killing Mr. Harrison before he was able to react. Aftermath: No officers were charged. A civil lawsuit filed by the family was dismissed.

June 22, 2014, Juan May, Arlington, TX

  1. A scuffle occurred between two people at the close of a birthday celebration. One was an off-duty policeman who broke away to retrieve a gun from his car. Mr. Juan May, also an attendee at the party, tried to intervene to calm the situation down, but was shot by the police officer, who did not call for medical assistance. Aftermath: The officer was not indicted. The civil suit filed by the family was dismissed. The off-duty police officer received the protections of an on-duty officer despite the personal nature of the conflict.

July 17, 2014,  Eric Garner, Staten Island, NY

  1. Police alleged they saw Eric Garner selling illegal untaxed cigarettes, but witnesses at the scene said he was stopped because he broke up a fight. After an argument, Officer Daniel Pantaleo placed Mr. Garner in a chokehold. He died of neck compression from the chokehold along with “the compression of his chest and prone positioning during physical restraint by police.” Aftermath: The New York City medical examiner ruled Garner’s death a homicide. Pantaleo was not indicted. The City paid $5.9 million to settle a wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family.

August 9, 2014,  Michael Brown, Jr., Ferguson, MO

  1. Michael Brown, 18, was crossing the street with a friend when Officer Darren Wilson ordered him to get off the street and shot him in the hand. Mr. Brown ran and Wilson fired 10 more shots at Mr. Brown, then left his body on the street for four hours without calling for medical help. Aftermath: Wilson was not indicted by a grand jury. He resigned from the Ferguson police force. Mr. Brown’s parents, Lezley McSpadden and Michael Brown Sr., received a $1.5 million settlement in a wrongful death lawsuit in June, 2017.

November 22, 2014,  Tamir Rice, Cleveland, OH

  1. Officer Tim Loehmann shot and killed Tamir Rice, 12, who was holding a toy gun in a public park. A 911 caller reported that someone, likely a minor, was pointing a pistol at random people at a park, but mentioned the gun was likely fake. Dispatchers didn’t did not tell officers the gun was likely fake nor that the person was a minor.   Within seconds after arriving at the park, Officer Loehmann shot Tamir and refused to let his sister go to his aid, nor did Loehmann call for medical assistance.  Aftermath:  No charges were filed against the officers.  Cleveland agreed to pay $6 million to Tamir’s family.

April 19, 2015,  Freddie Gray, Baltimore, MD

  1. Freddie Gray died from injuries sustained during a “rough ride” in a police van while handcuffed and shackled on the floor. He was arrested after catching the eye of a police officer while walking and hanging out with his friends, and then running away from the officers. Aftermath: Six officers were charged with crimes, including murder, for killing Mr. Gray. Two officers were acquitted. The trial for one officer ended in a mistrial; and charges against the other three officers were dropped.  Baltimore settled with Mr. Gray’s family for $6.4 million in 2015.

November 19, 2015,  Nathaniel Pickett II, San Bernardino County, CA

  1. Nathaniel Pickett II, who was unarmed, was walking across the street, in a crosswalk when he was stopped by Deputy Kyle Woods for no apparent reason. Woods alleged that Mr. Pickett fought him and punched him, but video evidence shows that Woods was not telling the truth. Woods shot a second unarmed person in January 2018. Aftermath: A jury awarded $33.5 million to Mr. Pickett’s family for wrongful death and punitive damages. However, the final settlement was approximately $15.5 million, after punitive damages were disallowed by the judge.

November 8, 2016,  Richie Lee Harbison, Hendersonville, NC

  1. Police received a call about a vehicle crash involving multiple parked cars at an apartment complex. Deputies found the driver of the wrecked vehicle naked in the middle of the road. The four officers claimed Richie Harbison was not compliant and “acting extremely irrational.” Rather than providing medical assistance or calling for medical help, the police officers tasered him several times and he died shortly thereafter. Aftermath: No officer was charged. The estate file is sealed from the public.

May 11, 2017, Andrew Kearse, Schenectady, NY

  1. Andrew Kearse was briefly chased by officers regarding a traffic violation. When they caught up to him, he was unable to stand or walk and it took three officers to carry him to the police car. Mr. Kearse was in the back seat for 17 minutes. He pleaded for help 70 times, repeating, “I can’t breathe.” Mr. Kearse’s cries for help were disregarded. He asked that the window be opened but the officer refused. Instead of taking Mr. Kearse to a hospital, which was located eight minutes away, officers decided to go to the police station. Mr. Kearse died of a heart attack before reaching the station. Aftermath: A grand jury refused to indict the arresting officer. The City of Schenectady settled the wrongful death lawsuit filed by the family for $1.3 million.

May 14, 2017, Tashii Farmer Brown, Las Vegas, NV

  1. Although Tashii Farmer Brown had not committed a crime, an officer felt he was suspicious because Brown “was sweating,” even though his officer partner was also sweating due to the heat of the day. As Mr. Brown walked away. the officer chased him and tasered him seven times. The officer beat Mr. Brown and used a chokehold on him. The coroner listed the cause of death as homicide by asphyxiation. Aftermath: A grand jury refused to indict the officer. The family received $2.2 million to settle the lawsuit they filed against the city.

July 17, 2017, Antonio Garcia, Jr., Leavenworth, KS

  1. An officer put his hand on his gun as he approached Antonio Garcia’s car and tried to open the car door. Mr. Garcia shut his car door. He did not have a gun nor did he threaten the officer. The officer never warned Mr. Garcia that he intended to use his gun, but as he walked away, the officer began firing at him. The officer prevented Mr. Garcia’s wife, a nurse, from providing medical assistance to her husband. Aftermath: The officer is awaiting trial on involuntary manslaughter. The City of Leavenworth settled a wrongful death lawsuit brought by the family for $1 million.

May 4, 2018, Jeffery Price, Washington, DC

  1. Jeffery Price, who was riding his dirt bike, died after crashing into a police cruiser which witnesses say deliberately ran a stop sign in order to cause the collision. The Price family’s attorney has collected over 200 affidavits from Black people who have been hit or chased by police officers while on their bikes, driving them into dangerous paths. Aftermath: No charges have been filed against any officer.

January 22, 2019, Jimmy Atchison, Atlanta, GA

  1. While Jimmy Atchison was visiting his child’s mother, the Fugitive Task Force arrived to arrest him for a robbery that never occurred. Atchison jumped out a window and hid in a closet in a neighboring apartment. He was unarmed, on his knees with his hands up when Officer Kim shot him under his eye, killing him. Aftermath: District Attorney Paul Howard said the city are prepared to present the case to a grand jury, but this has been delayed due to COVID. Mr. Atchison’s family has filed a wrongful death suit.

September 6, 2018 Botham Shem Jean, Dallas, TX

  1. Dallas police officer, Amber R. Guyger, said she walked into an apartment that wasn’t hers, mistaking it for her own, and shot and killed the legitimate occupant, Botham Shem Jean, when he allegedly didn’t comply with the order she issued upon invading his home. Mr. Jean was eating ice cream and watching TV in his apartment when Guyger entered it, shooting and killing him. Aftermath: Guyger was found guilty of murder and sentenced to 10 years in prison. The civil suit filed by the family was dismissed.

January 15, 2020, Mubarak Soulemane, West Haven, CT

  1. Mubarak Soulemane, a mentally ill 19-year-old, was driving an allegedly stolen car. Although instructed not to chase the car, State Trooper Brian North chased Mr. Soulemane’s car and trapped it to a standstill. Video shows North approaching the car with his gun drawn and shooting Mr. Soulemane seven times through the window while the victim was just sitting in the car. Aftermath: The officer remains on the force and no result of an internal investigation has been released.

January 21, 2020, Darius Tarver, Denton, TX

  1. Darius Tarver’s roommate called for mental health assistance a week after Mr. Tarver suffered brain damage and severe injuries to his face and head in a car accident. Four officers responded to the call. As Mr. Tarver slowly descended stairs with a frying pan in his hand, he refused the order to drop it. The officers then tasered him. He fell and tried to get up but was tasered again before being fatally shot by police. The officers delayed getting medical assistance and Mr. Tarver died. Aftermath: A grand jury refused to indict any officer.

March 3, 2020,  Manuel “Manny” Elijah Ellis, Tacoma, WA

  1. Manuel Ellis was walking home from a corner store when a police car approached him. After a brief conversation, an officer slammed the car door against Mr. Ellis, throwing him to the ground. Several officers then hit, punched, choked and tasered him. When Mr. Ellis said he couldn’t breathe, they put a spit mask over his head. He was dead moments later. Pierce County Medical Examiner’s Office determined that Mr. Ellis died of respiratory arrest due to hypoxia caused by physical restraint. Aftermath: No charges have been filed against the officers. A civil lawsuit is planned.

March 12, 2020, Barry Gedeus, Ft. Lauderdale, FL

  1. Officers were called in reference to an alleged sexual battery. Police met with the victim, who provided a description of her attacker and said that he rode off on a bicycle. An officer saw Barry Gedeus nearby on a bicycle and thought he matched the description. After Mr. Gedeus attempted to leave the area, Officer Roger Morris shot and killed him. Morris has had 84 complaints filed against him since he joined the force in 2006. Aftermath: A grand jury has not yet been impaneled. A civil lawsuit will be filed.

March 13, 2020,  Breonna Taylor, Louisville, KY

  1. At approximately 1:00 a.m., officers went to Breonna Taylor’s home for an alleged narcotics investigation of a third party who did not live in her home. Although they had a “knock and announce” warrant, officers did not identify themselves. Kenneth Walker, Ms. Taylor’s boyfriend, fired a warning shot at the unidentified intruders. Police then fired 32 rounds into the apartment and killed Ms. Taylor and arrested Mr. Walker. Subsequent information released in the case revealed that a bullet that hit an officer was not fired by Mr. Walker. Aftermath: A grand jury refused to indict any officer for killing Ms. Taylor but did indict Officer Hankison on three counts of wanton endangerment for endangering Ms. Taylor’s neighbors with his shots. The City of Louisville paid the family $12 million to settle a wrongful death lawsuit.

March 30, 2020,  Daniel Prude, Rochester, NY

  1. Daniel Prude, a 41-year-old man, was fatally injured after being physically restrained by Rochester, New York police officers who had been called by family to provide mental health assistance. Mr. Prude was suffering from a mental health episode, walking naked in the street. The officers put a spit hood over his head after he began spitting. They held him face down on the pavement for two minutes and 15 seconds, and he stopped breathing. Mr. Prude received CPR on the scene and later died of complications from asphyxia after being taken off life support. Aftermath: A grand jury refused to indict any officer. A wrongful death lawsuit has been filed by the family.

May 25, 2020,  George Floyd, Minneapolis, MN

  1. Police responded to a call from a grocery store that claimed George Floyd had used an allegedly counterfeit $20 bill to make a purchase. When police came upon Mr. Floyd sitting in his car, they said he resisted officers. Cell phone video showed Officer Derek Chauvin kneeling on Mr. Floyd’s neck for more than nine minutes until he died. Three other officers were present and did not stop the assault, despite multiple civilians around them warning that they were killing Mr. Floyd. The four officers were fired the day after the killing. Aftermath: Murder charges have been filed against all four officers. The City of Minneapolis settled the family’s wrongful death lawsuit for $27 million.

May 29, 2020, Momodou Lamin Sisay, Snellville, GA

  1. Momodou Lamin Sisay, a Gambian Muslim, was pulled over for an expired car license. Frightened of the police because of the George Floyd case, Mr. Sisay continued to drive. Officers forced his car off the road and shot him in while inside the vehicle because he refused to comply with verbal orders. More than 200 bullet holes were found on Mr. Sisay’s car. Aftermath: The Gambian government has called for a “transparent, credible, and objective investigation” into the killing.

July 13, 2020,  Vincent Truitt, Atlanta, GA

  1. Vincent Truitt, a 17-year-old, was a passenger in an allegedly stolen vehicle forced off the road by police. Vincent then fled on foot and was shot twice in the back by a Cobb County officer who has never been identified. As he lay dying, Vincent asked, “Why did you shoot me?” Aftermath: A grand jury refused to indict an officer for this killing.

August 25, 2020, Jacob Blake, Kenosha, WI

  1. After police were called regarding a domestic dispute involving Jacob Blake, officers stopped Mr. Blake while he was in a car with his children on his son’s eighth birthday. When Mr. Blake got out of his car, police tasered him. Mr. Blake, who had no gun, tried to get back in his car and was shot in the back seven times at very close range by police; his three young children were watching from the backseat. Mr. Blake has been left paralyzed from the waist down. Aftermath: No officer has been charged with a crime. The U.S. Department of Justice is conducting an investigation. The family is considering filing a civil suit.

August 25, 2020, Damian Daniels, San Antonio, TX

  1. The family of Damian Daniels, a 30-year-old veteran suffering from paranoia, called police for the third day requesting mental health help for him. On the third police visit, officers spoke with Mr. Daniels for 30 minutes and then attempted to arrest him to force his transport to a facility. In the process, Officer Jonathan Rodriguez shot and killed Mr. Daniels. Aftermath: Rodriguez, who previously killed another unarmed citizen in 2010, has been placed on paid administrative leave.

December 4, 2020,  Casey Goodson, Franklin County, OH

  1. Frustrated at having failed to serve a warrant at a nearby house, Officer Jason Meade assaulted Casey Goodson as he was returning home from the dentist. Mr. Goodson was shot a total of six times (three times in the back) as he entered the back door of his home. Although Mr. Goodson had a gun with him, he had completed his concealed-carry class and had a license to carry a concealed weapon. Meade has publicly espoused his belief that his religion authorizes him to “hunt people.” Aftermath: The case is under investigation at this time; Meade is on paid administrative leave.

January 10, 2021, Patrick Warren, Sr., Killeen, TX

  1. The day prior to the killing of Patrick Warren, Sr., a Mental Health Resource Officer was dispatched to Mr. Warren’s home, along with a police officer, in response to a request for help from Mr. Warren’s family. That encounter was handled appropriately. However, when the family called for help the next day, no Mental Health Resource Officer was available. Officer Contreras displayed a weapon as he approached Mr. Warren and, when the mentally ill man did not comply with orders, Contreras tasered and shot Mr. Warren. Aftermath: Contreras’s actions were ratified by the Killeen Chief of Police. A civil suit is plann